The Simplest Setup
Setting Up AlanIDE
AlanIDE is an "Integrated Development Environment" which you can read more about here. So to get AlanIDE running you:
- Download and install the appropriate AlanIDE from the Download Area
- Download the command line complete Alan package for your platform from the Download Area which you unpack in some suitable folder (C:\Program Files\Alan v3\bin is a suggestion for Windows).
- Download the Alan standard library from the Download Area and unpack it (e.g in C:\Program Files\Alan v3\lib)
- Start the AlanIDE
- Go to the Preferences, find the Alan settings and point the compiler preference to where you stored the Alan command line compiler
- Point the library preference to where you stored the standard library
- Follow the videos from the AlanIDE page (of which the first shows items 5-6 above, and the second takes you through the creation of a small game)
Setting Up Gargoyle
Gargoyle is a multi-platform, multi-gameformat adventure runner/interpreter. With it you can run almost any type of adventure game available in the community for interactive fiction.
- Download and install Gargoyle